🐕 Hello, Bogdan here in Romania. Did you know Google Lens can identify dog breeds? That’s how I got to know Kokoni, which is basically an unofficial breed of adorable mutts that can be found all over Greece. Take a minute to read the #kokoni tag on Instagram. you can thank me later
Mi Band 7 Pro: The missing link between fitness tracker and smartwatch
One of the most popular products in Xiaomi’s list is the Mi Band family of fitness trackers. It’s been around for years – cheap and cheerful, and arguably more important than most dedicated fitness brands out there. Now Xiaomi is introducing the Pro version, which comes suspiciously close to a smartwatch. It turns into a home run.
No, that’s not an Apple Watch on my wrist
- Xiaomi has a time-honored penchant for imitation when it comes to product design.
- From the first Mi Phones to Mi Pads and Mi Books, Xiaomi is not ashamed of stealing Apple’s looks.
- The Mi Band 7 Pro looks like an Apple Watch with a narrower screen and no crown.
- It doesn’t get points for originality, but honestly, that won’t matter much.
What makes it Pro
- Compared to the standard Mi Band 7, you get a larger, 1.64-inch rectangular AMOLED screen with rounded corners.
- The Pro looks premium, but its metallic finish hides a plastic body.
- The real upgrades are inside. The highlight is the built-in GPS, which means runners, cyclists and hikers can leave their phones at home.
- NFC is also a standard feature – this is noteworthy as the standard Mi Band 7 does not have NFC in all versions. NFC enables contactless payment, one of the most beautiful advantages of smartwatches.
- The Mi Band 7 Pro is waterproof up to 5 ATM and can be operated with one battery charge for up to 12 days.
- It can track dozens of sports modes and has health features like 24/7 heart rate tracking, blood oxygen monitoring, and sleep tracking.
- It also supports voice commands, phone notifications, Find-My-Device, and music controls.
Here’s the kicker – it’s still incredibly affordable
- Despite the big upgrades, the Mi Band 7 Pro is very affordable. It costs the equivalent of $56 in China.
- Even if it is more expensive in other countries (Chinese prices are among the lowest in major markets), the Mi Band 7 Pro is very competitive.
- You get most of the key features of a mid-range smartwatch for 20-30% of the price. It also looks like it.
- Xiaomi will likely struggle to keep up with the demand for this thing.
- Is it a fitness tracker? Is it a smart watch? Does it still matter at this point? We are experiencing the same phenomena that we have seen with smartphones. The low-end is now objectively “good enough,” while the big brands differentiate themselves with unique features and ever-increasing prices.
📱 Along with the Mi Band 7 Pro, Xiaomi also introduced the 12S series of smartphones. The flagship 12S Ultra features a huge 1-inch camera sensor and Leica Summicron lenses and color profiles. On paper, this is the camera phone to beat in 2022 (Android Authority).
Bogdan Petrovan, Editor-in-Chief