And here is a next level question. We love our dogs, but how do you keep Fidos poop bags out of the landfill? Well, you could ask a Denali National Park manager.
So going green is on the news every day. Alaska Airlines has just announced that it will no longer use plastic water bottles and will instead opt for water in a box made from recycled materials. Global leaders talk about their commitment to carbon reduction in Glasgow. Greta Thunberg, a Swedish teenager, has strong words of her generation for others to take responsibility.
So what can we do? Recycle and compost. But there are a lot of questions: Why can’t I put a glass in my trash on the side of the road? Do I have to remove labels from cans and bottles? Is it true that pizza boxes can be recycled, even the greasy and cheesy ones? Can you compost leftover meat? Why can’t all 1-2 plastics be recycled? And what compost / recycle mistakes should you know to avoid contaminating the process?
To answer your questions, we have experts from Valley Recycling in the Mat-Su, Anchorage Municipal recycling programs, and a National Park Service Ranger experienced in composting their work sled dog waste rather than dumping it in a landfill. Now there is an idea.
Do you have any questions about recycling or composting? Bring them with you! Your questions and comments are always welcome.
HOST: Kathleen McCoy
- Randi Perlmann, Interim Director Valley Recycling
- Suzanna Caldwell, Anchorage Municipal Recycling and Composting Programs
- Sarah Hayes, National Park Service ranger with experience in Denali Sled Dog Kennels
- Anchorage Community Recycle Pages, website
- Valley Recycling, website and Facebook page
- Denali National Park Sled Dog Houses, site (where all dog waste is composted)
- Podcast from US municipal recycling plant managers on current challenges (20 min), podcast
- Call 550-8433 (Anchorage) or 1-888-353-5752 (nationwide) during the live broadcast (10-11 a.m.)
- Send E-mail to [email protected] before, during or after the live broadcast (emails can be read on air).
- Post your comment or question below (comments can be read on air).
- LIVE: Monday, November 8, 2021 at 10 a.m.
- SUPPLY AIR: Monday, November 8th, 2021 at 8 p.m.
- PODCAST: Available on this page after the program.