CHICAGO – Cook County prosecutors say woman pushed her 3-year-old nephew into Lake Michigan off Navy Pier, then claimed she didn’t know the child, two people showed up to claim jackpot Billion-Dollar Mega Millions and Police in Suburban Chicago Arrested 15 People for Allegedly Using PPP Loans to Get Out of Jail: Here Are FOX 32’s Top Stories of the Week in Review.
1. Woman pushed 3-year-old nephew into water off Navy Pier, then claimed she didn’t know the child: prosecutors – Bail has been denied for the woman charged with attempted murder after she allegedly pushed her 3-year-old nephew into Lake Michigan off Navy Pier, leaving him in “very critical” condition.
Victoria Moreno, 34, is charged with pushing the boy into the water and failing to rescue him around 1 p.m. Monday near the 700 block of East Grand Avenue, police said.
The child vomited twice and sank before witnesses could throw in a flotation device. The accused did nothing to help, according to surveillance video and witnesses.
2. Mega Millions jackpot winners present themselves; Two people to split the $1.34 billion prize – Two people have come forward to claim the $1.34 billion Mega Millions jackpot nearly eight weeks after a single winning ticket for the late-July draw was sold in a Chicago suburb, officials said Wednesday. Illinois Lottery officials.
The winners, who agreed to share the prize if they won, chose to remain anonymous but said they were “over the moon” with their huge win.
“They pulled up to the Speedway in Des Plaines and grabbed a Mega Millions ticket while they were there,” Illinois Lottery Manager Harold Mays said. “It turned out to be a completely life-changing decision when a $3 Mega Millions line with Megaplier turned into a $1.34 billion jackpot.”
3. Joliet police arrest 15 people for using fake business loans to get out of jail – Joliet police and federal agencies have identified 25 people who faced drug or weapons crimes and were in jail when they applied for PPP loans for bogus businesses.
So far, 15 people have been arrested and charged with offenses including wire fraud and theft during the operation dubbed “Operation Triple P”.
Police are still looking for 10 other people wanted for the same crimes.
4. Orland Park is implementing a new policy that will circumvent the SAFE-T law – Orland Park announced a new policing program Monday night that will circumvent the SAFE-T law.
The initiative is an agreement with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) that would make two Orland Park police officers part-time ATF officers, Pekau said.
This would allow local agents to bring applicable cases directly to the Assistant United States Attorney.
5. Arrest warrant issued for Chicago man wanted in attempted carjacking of his mother in Oak Lawn – A warrant has been issued for a Chicago man who was allegedly involved in the attempted carjacking of a mother in Oak Lawn earlier this year.
Jerome D. Fears, Jr, 20, is wanted by authorities in connection with the April 18 crime.
According the crest, Fears is approximately 5’5 and has a deformity in his right hand. He should also be considered armed and dangerous.
(Oak Lawn Police Department)
6. These Illinois Lottery Scratches Still Have Million Dollar Prizes Available – There are at least 13 instant – or scratch – games in Illinois that have at least one million dollar winning ticket that has not yet been claimed.
According to the Illinois Lottery website, the following instant games have prizes worth at least $1 million. The biggest prize yet to be claimed is $7,200,000.
seven. ‘They need to know Myron was beloved’: Man’s mother found shot in burning car calls for change on South Side – Myron Richardson often bought his mother roses, so his friends and family stood on Doty Avenue on the Far South Side recently holding bouquets of red and white balloons on what would have been his 21st anniversary.
It has been more than a year since Richardson was shot, and his mother Carmela Richardson wonders if she will ever see justice. That’s why she’s asking for some justice, here in the 12100 block of South Doty Avenue where her son was killed.
Richardson is pushing for the stretch to be named after her son, and she’s asking city officials to make the street safer with cameras and lights.
8. Race for Illinois governor between Pritzker and Bailey closer than 4 years ago, new poll shows – A voter opinion survey conducted for Republican Darren Bailey’s campaign shows Gov. JB Pritzker has a lead. But that’s closer than the landslide, 16 percentage points, won by Democrat Pritzker four years ago.
Celebrating the endorsement of the International Workers Union on Monday, Governor Pritzker recalled how in 2018 he beat Republican Governor Bruce Rauner by a 55% to 39% margin.
“We crushed Bruce Rauner by the biggest margin against any incumbent governor in state history,” Pritzker said.
A Sept. 8-10 poll for the current Republican nominee found Pritzker at 44 percent, Bailey at 37 percent, and Libertarian Scott Schluter at 8 percent.
9. ‘It’s traumatic’: 4 people found dead at Oak Forest home after barricade situation, fire – The Cook County Medical Examiner confirmed four people died in connection with a barricade situation and house fire in Oak Forest on Friday morning.
Oak Forest Police responded to a domestic disturbance call at a house in the 5500 block of Ann Marie Lane at around 6.35am.
When police arrived, they found two victims with gunshot wounds in the driveway and a third victim on the road south of the house.
ten. Chicago man charged with shooting 3 people, 2 fatally, who were sitting on Woodlawn porch – A Chicago man has been charged with shooting three people, two fatally, who were sitting on a porch in Woodlawn on Sunday afternoon.
Khalil Gilmore, 20, faces two counts of first-degree murder, one count of aggravated battery/firearm discharge, one count of attempted first-degree murder and one count of aggravated unlawful use of a weapon.
11. FDA Sounds Alarm Over TikTok Challenge That Involves Cooking Chicken in Nyquil – Another warning is surfacing about a TikTok challenge people concocted earlier this year.
The US Food and Drug Administration calls the Nyquil challenge a fault, telling people not to try it because it could be deadly.
Many videos of the challenge were taken from the social media site.