Peavy Lake’s algal bloom warning has been lifted, but don’t bring your dog | Health

MID VALLEY MEDIA

Swimmers can again enjoy a small lake, but dogs remain at risk of dying from toxic algae at the Peavy Arboretum near Adair Village, according to the state health department.

The Oregon Health Department lifted a recovery recommendation for Cronemiller Lake in northeast Benton County on Wednesday, Aug. 3 after determining cyanotoxin levels were below levels that could harm people who swim to their bodies take such a press release.

But because dogs have smaller bodies than humans, cyanotoxins kill pets with less exposure, the agency said.

Photosynthesizing microorganisms called cyanobacteria produce the toxin and generally proliferate when the water warms and conditions become ideal for their growth, giving the water a blue-green or frothy appearance in dense blooms.

OHA had put Cronemiller Lake — the spot where Oregon State University’s logging team trains — under a recreational recommendation on July 28, warning that ingesting water at the lake could sicken or kill people.

People also read…

Cyanobacteria blooms can persist in shallow, swampy areas around the lake, according to the press release.

The health agency advises pet owners to stop dogs from drinking from the lake, lick their fur after they’ve been in the water, and watch for symptoms of poisoning such as diarrhea, vomiting, and a lack of energy or appetite.

Pets suffering from cyanotoxin poisoning should see a vet immediately, according to the notice.

About Clayton Arredondo

Check Also

Cooper is transferred to the rehabilitation center and enjoys his first playdate with a dog since filming at Highland Park

Cooper Roberts, the 8-year-old boy who was paralyzed from the waist down when the Highland …