Sumter County Animal Services offers 10 good reasons for grooming a dog or cat:
1. Foster homes prepare a pet so adopters will see the pet in a more relaxed state. Some animals get overly excited in the kennel or are overly shy.
2. Taking care of pets can be fun and good for the body and soul. Walking the dog is a great way to get some daily exercise. Playing with a foster cat is a great way to mentally relax from a long day at work. Research has even shown that owning a pet can lead to improved cardiovascular health, lower blood pressure, and relief from stress, anxiety, and loneliness.
3. Caregiver volunteers provide structure and training for pets. Both dogs and cats can be taught new skills that will help them impress potential adopters.
4. Foster homes give pets more space. Just like humans, dogs and cats need regular exercise to stay healthy. While Sumter County Animal Services does its best to provide adequate space and opportunities for exercise, there is a lot more space in a nursing home.
5. Fostering offers valuable insight to animal services. Through grooming, Animal Services can learn how the animal behaves with other animals, children and people. This information can also help Animal Services match the animal with the best fur family or rescue service ever.
6. Funding does not have to be a long-term commitment. Sometimes there are ways to care for a pet on a short-term basis.
7. Each animal sponsored opens up more kennel space at Animal Services for other lost or homeless pets, which hopefully means more homes for pets in need.
8. Fostering gives you the opportunity to decide whether or not you are ready to adopt. Adoption is a big commitment. If you’re not sure if you want to take that step, a promotion is a great way to find out if you’re ready.
9. Sumter County Animal Services will help you with the cost of caring for a foster animal by providing food and other essentials.
10. Above all, caring for a pet in need will help and give them hope for a better life. In return, you might get some unconditional love back. What can be better than that?
Go to www.summercountyfl.gov/foster to submit an application.