A veterinarian has warned of potential dangers to your health and your dog’s health if you let him lick plates – even if he goes through the dishwasher.
Needless to say, some human foods are dangerous to dogs and owners wouldn’t think of giving them things like chocolate or alcohol, but it seems they are much less careful when it comes to sharing plates.
TeamDogs author, Charlotte Regen, asked her Twitter follower if they let their pets lick their plates, and it found that 38.5 percent did so.
And research by Wren Kitchens has found that one in six (15 percent) households in the UK allow their pets to be cleaned before they wash – so this is a fairly common practice.
But does it hurt to give your dog a little taste of what you’ve been eating? It turns out they are there.
In fact, if your dog is fed a raw meat diet and licks your plates, you could expose yourself and your family to salmonella infection.
These germs can survive on your dishes even after a major explosion in the dishwasher.
Most people with salmonella have diarrhea, fever, and stomach cramps – for up to seven days. It can even be fatal in very young, elderly, or vulnerable people.
He said, âYou shouldn’t be tempted to give your dog leftovers from your own meals, including licking your plate, for several reasons.
âThe first is that so much human food is poisonous to dogs. Some pet emergencies are inevitable, while others are easier to prevent than you might think.
âYour dog ingesting a hidden hazard in food is one of those avoidable hazards that could avoid a spontaneous emergency vet visit. We see so many emergencies from dogs who have eaten something they shouldn’t be eating.
âThere are many foods that are toxic to dogs, including chocolate, grapes and raisins, alcohol, onions, garlic and chives, and many other foods.
âHuman food is also often high in salt, which can be harmful to pets.
âThe second reason is protection against infection. Pets can harbor bacteria such as salmonella, especially when fed raw meat, which cannot be reliably destroyed by dish washing and can remain on dishes as a source of infection for the family.
âAlso recently Research shows pets can catch Covid from their owners.
âWhile most infected pets are asymptomatic or show mild symptoms, Covid is common in cats and dogs whose owners have the disease. Based on the information available so far, the risk of animals transmitting COVID-19 to humans is assessed as low. “